
Photo: Illustrative
US, South Korea Cut Joint Military Drills Short After Trump Order
South Korea and the United States have shortened their annual joint military drills from 11 days to five, following President Trump's order to substantially reduce US participation. The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, which began August 17, will now conclude August 21 instead of its original end date of August 27. South Korea's Defense Minister said the allies are also moving to cancel the drills' second phase, which had been expected to involve counterattack operations.

South Korea and the United States have shortened their annual joint military drills from 11 days to five, following President Trump’s order to substantially reduce US participation. The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, which began August 17, will now conclude August 21 instead of its original end date of August 27. South Korea’s Defense Minister said the allies are also moving to cancel the drills’ second phase, which had been expected to involve counterattack operations.
Changes Come as China’s Foreign Minister Visits
The scaled-back drills coincide with Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi’s visit to South Korea for regional security talks. A US Defense Department official said some field-training events would be canceled or converted to simulations, while insisting the changes would preserve essential readiness without degrading training objectives.
Trump’s Motives Tied to Broader Strategy
Trump’s order followed his cited “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Analysts suggest the move may be aimed at pressuring Seoul over investment commitments, shifting focus from tensions with Iran, and reopening diplomatic channels with Pyongyang. Trump has reportedly pushed aides to arrange an in-person meeting with Kim as early as this autumn, possibly during a November trip to Asia.
North Korea Responds Cautiously
North Korea again condemned the drills as provocative but notably avoided directly mentioning Trump or the reduction, a choice analysts say may signal openness to diplomacy. South Korean President Lee Jae Myung maintained the exercises remain defensive in nature.
Live market reaction
Disclaimer
This content is for informational purposes only and does not constitute financial, investment, or legal advice. Cryptocurrency trading involves risk and may result in financial loss.
Start trading
with BloFin today
Up to $500 sign-up bonus and zero-fee trading on your first 30 days.
Buy crypto nowⓘ You will be redirected to BloFin
About the author

8+ years covering crypto markets, macro, and geopolitics. Previously at Decrypt and CoinDesk. Focused on the intersection of digital assets and traditional finance.


