BlocktoBlockto
BitMart Founder Denies Fund Freeze Claims, Blames Hacked Account Amid User Backlash
ALTCOIN NEWS

Photo: Illustrative

BitMart Founder Denies Fund Freeze Claims, Blames Hacked Account Amid User Backlash

BitMart founder Sheldon Lee is pushing back against claims that customers can't access their funds and staff haven't been paid, calling the allegations fabricated and blaming a hacked social media account. The claims originated from the exchange's Chinese-language account, which demanded Lee and his business partner open company books, including wallets, assets, and liabilities, to outside verification by August 19.

Tristan R.
By Tristan R.

Senior Author · August 18, 2026

2 min
Key takeaways
BitMart founder Sheldon Lee is pushing back against claims that customers can't access their funds and staff haven't been paid, calling the allegations fabricated and blaming a hacked social media account.
The claims originated from the exchange's Chinese-language account, which demanded Lee and his business partner open company books, including wallets, assets, and liabilities, to outside verification by August 19.
Founder's Response Sidesteps Core Demands Rather than addressing the withdrawal complaints directly, Lee said he would file a police report and pursue legal action over the alleged hack.

BitMart founder Sheldon Lee is pushing back against claims that customers can’t access their funds and staff haven’t been paid, calling the allegations fabricated and blaming a hacked social media account. The claims originated from the exchange’s Chinese-language account, which demanded Lee and his business partner open company books, including wallets, assets, and liabilities, to outside verification by August 19.

Founder’s Response Sidesteps Core Demands

Rather than addressing the withdrawal complaints directly, Lee said he would file a police report and pursue legal action over the alleged hack. On unpaid staff, he said employee claims hold no priority over customer funds. BitMart announced last month it was shutting down entirely, with August 26 marked as its final trading day, though many users say withdrawals remain stuck.

Users and Investigators Push Back

Multiple users publicly demanded direct answers about fund access, with one claiming $10 million remained locked. A blockchain investigator urged the exchange to simply return funds if liquidity exists. A distressed-debt firm said it offered BitMart a funded restructuring plan, which has gone unanswered.

How markets are positioning

Live market reaction

🛢️WTI Crude
+3.4%
Gold
+1.8%
Bitcoin
-1.8%
$DXY
+0.6%

Disclaimer

This content is for informational purposes only and does not constitute financial, investment, or legal advice. Cryptocurrency trading involves risk and may result in financial loss.

Exclusive partner offer

Start trading
with BloFin today

Up to $500 sign-up bonus and zero-fee trading on your first 30 days.

Buy crypto now

You will be redirected to BloFin

Share article

About the author

Tristan R.
Tristan R.

8+ years covering crypto markets, macro, and geopolitics. Previously at Decrypt and CoinDesk. Focused on the intersection of digital assets and traditional finance.